Monday, March 19, 2012

Getting Real


A friend asked me last week if my decision to alter my diet was based on personal philosophy or if it was a health-based choice. To which I could only answer, "Yes."

I grew up eating mainly processed, pre-packaged foods. Then I proceeded to feed my family a lot of the same kind of foods.

All the while, from my earliest memories (as a preschool-aged child), I have spent a considerable amount of time in pain or feeling unwell. Headaches began before I started school and continued as a regular feature of my life from then on. Joint and bone pain began in high school. Allergies and asthma began in my early 20's. Fatigue began in my 30's. Because doctors could never really find an answer to these vague symptoms, I gravitated toward researching alternative/natural remedies to try to find relief.
Some things helped a bit, but nothing brought about a dramatic change. Eventually, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. And gradually I found some medications that did bring significant relief.

Since my late teens "healthy eating" has been of interest to me, and I've read a great deal and tried many cookbooks in pursuit of this interest. Then recently I finally had a food epiphany: The human body is designed to operate on real food. The food I put into my mouth is the only thing my body has to work with. This seems so obvious (because it is obvious!), but I think our culture (myself included) has forgotten what real food even looks like.

Over the past year or so I have synthesized a personal philosophy that I should feed my body Real Food, and that Real Food consists primarily of things that grow out of the ground, or have fur, fins, or feathers (and the eggs or milk they may produce). And I have come to the conclusion that a body fed in this way will be capable of maximizing its potential for health (which will vary from person to person).

It isn't about turning back the clock, or being "healthier than thou," or being afraid to enjoy a piece of box mix birthday cake. It is just about doing the best I can with what I've got, with humility and joy.

Especially joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment