Monday, March 12, 2012

Through the Looking Glass


I am not sure how it happened. From an early age I have been interested in health topics and cooking, and the natural synthesis of these in the topic of nutrition. But one day recently I found myself on Amazon.com investigating Dr. Catherine Shanahan's "Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Foods." http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Nutrition-Your-Genes-Traditional/dp/0615228380/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331557123&sr=8-1 The reader reviews were very intriguing. Since it was not available through the public library, I went ahead and ordered it.

Within the week it was as if I had gone though the looking glass...

Aside from current conventional wisdom regarding vegetables, it was as if everything I had heard about healthy nutrition was the reverse of the truth: real butter and coconut oil are great for your body; pastured and wild-caught flesh foods (and eggs!) of all kinds are incredibly healthful; salt is not poison; high consumption of grain products (even whole grains) and fruit is detrimental to the human body.

All meticulously described and documented with over 300 references.

And so my husband and I have now embarked upon a new adventure: eating real food.

This blog is my attempt to chronicle this journey, along with any other "rabbit holes" I may encounter along the way...

2 comments: